L’Eroica Gaiole in Chianti is a non-competitive leisure cycling event (herein referred to as event or incorrectly as race). This is a commemorative historical race that passes along various white roads, i.e. non-asphalt roads.
Participation in L’Eroica Gaiole in Chianti is dedicated to cyclists wearing vintage or historically inspired cycling gear, on historical or vintage-style bikes, as described in Art. 6 of these rules and in the INSPIRATION section of the www.eroicagaiole.it and www.eroica.cc websites.
ART. 1 – DATE AND PLACE
The event will take place on SUNDAY 4 OCTOBER 2020 in Gaiole in Chianti, Siena, Italy.
ART. 2 – ROUTES AND START
L’Eroica Gaiole in Chianti offers 5 different routes:
• Long L’EROICA 209 km, a medical certificate for the practice of competitive cycling is required;
• Medium CRETE SENESI 135 km, a medical certificate for the practice of competitive cycling is required;
• One Hundred VAL D’ARBIA 106 km, a medical certificate for the practice of competitive cycling is required;
• Short GALLO NERO 81 km, a medical certificate for the practice of competitive cycling is required;
• Leisure VALLE DEL CHIANTI 46 km, a medical certificate for the practice of NON-competitive cycling is sufficient.
Each participant may choose the route that is most suited to him/her and the choice must be indicated when registering. However, it is possible to modify your choice up until the start of the race, without any penalty, as long as you choose a route requiring the same type of medical certificate: i.e. it is possible to change between the Long L’Eroico, Medium Crete Senesi, One Hundred Val D’Arbia and Short Gallo Nero routes (medical certificate for the practice of competitive cycling).
This faculty may be curtailed or modified by the Organisation for technical and/or safety reasons.
As well as providing a medical certificate and club membership, minors aged 16 to 18, may participate only if authorized by a parent or legal guardian. The authorization form can be found at the following link.
Those who are over-64 (sixty-four) and who still have a medical certificate to practice competitive cycling may participate in the 46 km, 81 km and 106 km routes.
Routes will be signposted but each rider is expected to use the "Road Book" and "Eroica map". The maps and GPS routes may be consulted and downloaded from the Routes page on the www.eroicagaiole.it website.
Starting times will be as follows:
• Long L’EROICA 209 km and Medium CRETE SENESI 135 km routes: 05:00 – 07:00;
• One Hundred VAL D’ARBIA 106 km: 07:00 – 07:30
• Short GALLO NERO 81 km and leisure VALLE DEL CHIANTI 46 km routes: 08:00 – 09:30.
ART. 3 – PARTICIPATION AND SPORT’S CLUB MEMBERSHIP
L’Eroica Gaiole in Chianti is open to anybody of either sex who is over 16 years of age.
In 2020, according to Italian law, all cyclists must be members of a club that is recognised by CONI (Italian National Olympics Committee).
Italian cyclists with private sport’s club membership
Italian cyclists with private cycling club membership must have membership both at the time of registering and on the day of the Event. Membership of the Italian Cycling Federation (FCI) and of the four bodies affiliated with the FCI (ACSI, UISP, CSAIN, CSI) is valid. FCI affiliated Bike Cards are also accepted but free ACSI membership will be activated for these participants for the Event.
The valid sport’s club membership must be uploaded on the MyEroica Registration platform at least 15 days before registering to enable the Organisation to check it. All membership cards will be checked within 15 days of being uploaded.
Italian Cyclists without private sport’s club membership
Italian cyclists who are not members of a private sport’s club may register by paying €10 for “ACSI membership” which includes daily insurance cover for the events organised in Italy by Eroica Italia S.S.D. a r.l.
All FOREIGN cyclists may register by paying €10 for “ACSI membership” which includes daily insurance cover for the events organised in Italy by Eroica Italia S.S.D. a r.l.
The ACSI membership card includes a daily insurance policy and can be downloaded from the ACSI website at the following link.
The Organisation reserves the incontestable right to accept or refuse registration or to exclude an entrant from the event, should his/her participation damage the image of the event.
Minors, aged 16 and 17, as well as providing a medical certificate and club membership, may participate only if authorized by a parent or legal guardian. The authorization form can be found at the following link.
Those who are over 64 (sixty-four), who still have a medical certificate to practice competitive cycling, may only participate in the 46 km, 81 km and 106 km routes.
ART. 4 – MANDATORY MEDICAL CERTIFICATE FOR EVERYBODY
All participants, including those who are members of a sport’s club (as per Art. 3) are OBLIGED to present to the organisers one of the following types of MEDICAL CERTIFICATE that is valid for the route chosen:
• MEDICAL CERTIFICATE for COMPETITIVE CYCLING for those taking the 209 km, 135, 106 and 81 km routes;
• MEDICAL CERTIFICATE NON-COMPETITIVE for those taking the 46 km route.
N.B. The medical certificate must be uploaded to the “MyEroica” platform, in the “My documents” section, by 31 August 2020. The certificate will be checked and validated online within 15 days of being uploaded. If the medical certificate is not compliant, it will be refused and cancelled and the entrant will have to upload a new compliant one. The medical certificate must be specifically for CYCLING. We cannot accept certificates issued for other disciplines, such as triathlons, athletics, etc. If these conditions are not met, the cyclist will not be considered registered and he/she will also lose the right to be reimbursed.
Each participant must declare, in accordance with D.P.R. n. 445 of 28 December 2000, that the documents uploaded to the MyEroica system correspond to the originals in his/her possession.
Italian cyclists who are members of FCI, ACSI, UISP, CSAIN, CSI or have a Bike Card are also obliged to upload the medical certificate onto the MyEroica platform.
ART. 5 – REGISTRATION METHODS AND FEES
It is possible to register directly on the MyEroica platform: https://www.myeroica.cc
Registration will open to everybody at varying stages, starting from Monday 27 January 2020 at 09:00 (Rome time) and will remain open until the different bib numbers have been sold out, according to the following criteria:
• RESERVED registration for CICLO CLUB EROICA members at €50.00 (until 31 July 2020);
• STANDARD registration, open to all, at €75.00 (until the 5,000 places available sell out);
• PREMIUM registration, open to all, at €100.00 from 1 March 2020 until the 1,000 places available sell out;
• LATE registration, open to all, at €150.00 until the 100 places available sell out. Proceeds will be donated to local Tuscan sport’s and cultural associations;
• COMBINED “B” (L’Eroica + NOVA Eroica), open to all, at €100.00, limited to 350 places;
• COMBINED “C” (L’Eroica Gaiole + Eroica Montalcino), open to all, at €115.00 (available places already sold out);
• COMBINED "TRIPLE" (Eroica Montalcino + NOVA Eroica + L’Eroica Gaiole in Chianti), open to all, at €145.00, limited to 200 places.
• TOUR OPERATOR registration, open to all, at €85.00, until 30 April; open at a cost of €100.00 until 30 June.
N.B Italian cyclists who are members of private clubs must upload their membership card to the MyEroica page and await validation from Eroica Italia SSD before registering, as per ART. 3 above.
The registration fee, irrespective of the amount paid, includes:
• RACE PACK with event gifts and souvenirs;
• RACE NUMBER to be attached to your jersey and bicycle;
• ROAD BOOK which will be stamped at checkpoints;
• EROICA MAP with details of the routes, food stops, checkpoints and mechanical assistance;
• FOOD STOPS in varying numbers according to the length of the route chosen;
• PRIZE at the finish line;
• PASTA PARTY at the end of the event;
• SHOWERS at the finish line.
ART. 6 – CRITERIA REGARDING BICYCLES AND CLOTHING
L’Eroica is an event for road-racing bicycles and is dedicated to cyclists wearing vintage or historically inspired clothing, riding “HISTORICAL BIKES”/VINTAGE or VINTAGE-STYLE MODERN BIKES. Lycra clothing may not be worn.
6.1 – Bicycles
At L’Eroica, only the following kinds of bikes are admitted:
-vintage road-racing bikes, or so-called HEROIC BIKES, as described in paragraph 6.1.a;
-historically inspired or VINTAGE-STYLE BIKES, including recently built bikes, as described in the below paragraph 6.1.b.;
Only those bikes described in paragraphs 6.1.a / 6.1.b will be admitted.
6.1.a –Heroic bikes or vintage bikes
HEROIC BIKES are all road-racing bikes built up to and including 1987, both with and without gears, such as those built in the late 19th or early 20th centuries. These bicycles most likely have a steel frame or an Alan type aluminium frame.
Regarding components, bicycles should adhere to the following general guidelines:
1. More recent bikes with gears and derailleurs must have shift levers on the down tube of the frame; exceptions include pre-1980 non indexed bar-end gear shifters;
2. Pedals must have toe clips and straps or original pedals for older bikes; quick release, clip-less pedals are not allowed;
3. Brake cables must pass outside and over the handlebars (cables can pass inside the frame);
4. Wheels must have at least 32 spokes laced to a low profile rim (20 mm depth or less); rims must be of either steel, aluminium or wood;
5. Both tubular tyres and clinchers with inner tubes are allowed;
6. We invite participants to fit saddles from the same period as the bicycles, so a model of 1987 or earlier; alternatively we suggest fitting a vintage model of modern production;
7. Change of the gear ratios is allowed due to the difficulty of the ride.
Early 20th century bicycles without gears do not need to comply with the above criteria as long as they have their original components.
6.1.b – Vintage-style or modern built bikes
Vintage-style, steel framed bikes of new or recent construction with vintage look and characteristics may be used only if they are road-racing bikes assembled using vintage components or replicated parts similar to the originals, as described above.
6.1.c - Waivers and exemptions
On request, exceptions regarding the type of bicycle may be granted to participants with disabilities.
For the 46 km route other types of vintage bicycles will be admitted, such as postman’s bikes, general working bicycles, leisure bicycles, etc.
Mountain bikes are excluded from all routes.
Any registered cyclist who arrives at the starting line or is found on the route with a bicycle that does not conform to the rules and regulations of the event will be disqualified.
6.2 – CLOTHING
Participants are strongly encouraged to wear vintage or vintage-style cycling gear, such as wool jerseys and shorts and to avoid wearing modern technical gear in a visible way. The management reserves the right to disqualify any participant whose behaviour is considered inappropriate. Should photographic or video evidence of irregular behaviour come available after the event, the Organisation reserves the right to exclude those responsible from the event.
6.3 – Accessories
With regard to the vintage spirit of the event, participants are invited to carefully select all their accessories, from shoes to caps and water bottles etc. The only modern cycling accessory allowed is a safety-cycling helmet, which we encourage everybody to use.
ART. 7 – RESPECT THE RULES OF THE ROAD
L’Eroica is a LEISURE RIDE on asphalt and white roads; the whole route will be open to traffic for the entire duration of the event, and it is therefore obligatory that all participants respect the Rules of the Road. It is also mandatory to have a repair kit for punctures and breakdowns.
ART. 8 – VALIDITY OF REGISTRATION
Registration can be considered valid only when the electronic registration procedure has been completed, the corresponding fee has been credited to the Organisation, the medical certificate or documentation relating to membership of a recognised sport’s club has been received and all of the above has been confirmed by the Organisation.
The L’Eroica Organisation may, incontestably, at any time, decide whether or not to accept a registration, without obligation to provide further explanation.
ART. 9 – SUBSTITUTIONS OR CANCELLATIONS
It is possible to request the substitution of a participant within 21 days of the event, if registration is finalized with forms compiled and the registration fee paid in full. An administration fee of €15.00 will be charged for this service.
If a registered cyclist is unable to participate in the event and does not request a substitution by the aforementioned deadline, the registration fee will not be reimbursed and the race pack will not be sent.
Within 21 days of the event, the registered cyclist will have the right to cancel his/her participation only in cases related to injury as documented by a medical report, which must be sent to email@example.com. Medical files will be treated in accordance with the valid privacy laws. Once the reasons for cancellation, and related documents, have been verified, the Organisation will consider the registration valid for the same event the following year, as long as the €15.00 administration fee is paid, at least one week before registration for the following year’s event opens.
The registration will only be considered valid for the following year, is strictly personal and cannot be transferred to a third party. Should the cyclist fail to participate again, the registration fee will be forfeited. Under no circumstances will the registration fee be refunded nor will the race pack be sent.
ART. 10 – COLLECTION OF RACE NUMBER with I.D.
In Gaiole in Chianti, RACE PACKS and NUMBERS will be distributed before the event, at the following times:
• Thursday 2 October 2020, 17:00–19:00;
• Friday 3 October 2020, 09:00–19:00
• Saturday 4 October 2020, 09:00–13:00 and 14:00–19:00;
• Sunday 5 October 2020, from 06:30–09:30.
In order to pick up your RACE PACK and ENVELOPE, it is mandatory to present:
• A printout of your “MY EROICA” page;
• Membership card for a competitive sport’s club or a medical certificate, according to Art. 3 of the current regulations;
• A valid form of I.D.
It will be possible to delegate a friend or trusted person to collect the “RACE PACK” by providing the following:
• An original printout of the “MY EROICA” page, with the PROXY section filled out and signed;
• Copy of the I.D. of the delegating party;
• Copy of the competitive sport’s club membership card or original medical certificate of the delegating party, according to art. 3 of the current regulations;
• Valid I.D. of the proxy.
ART. 11 – TIME LIMITS, ROUTE CLOSURE and ASSISTANCE
The time limit within which the routes must be completed has been set at 21:30.
In the Il Molino area (Buonconvento), from 12:00, cyclists will be redirected to the 135 km route.
In Castelnuovo Berardenga San Piero in Barca, from 18:00, cyclists will be redirected towards Brolio and Gaiole in Chianti along an asphalt road.
No type of medical assistance will be provided, apart from S.O.S. for medical emergencies; call the emergency number +39 339/1129980. No mechanical assistance will be provided. Assistance by private vehicles following the event is not permitted.
ART. 12 – FOOD STOPS, CHECKPOINTS AND FINISH OF ROUTES
Two types of food stops will be provided along the routes:
• OFFICIAL EROICA FOOD STOP (indicated by ‘R’ on the EROICA MAP), providing water, wine and sweet and savoury food in authentic Eroica style;
• GREETING STOP (organised by local communities to demonstrate their friendship with Eroica. These are indicated by ‘S’ on the Eroica map), offering less than the official food stops and more commonly providing water and some type of sweet or savoury food.
Please note that all types of FOOD STOP (both official and greeting) are always FREE of charge.
Opening and closing of food stops and checkpoints and technical assistance:
• GAIOLE IN CHIANTI – CHECKPOINT – open from 05:00 to 09:30.
• DIEVOLE – km 31.3 – FOOD STOP, CHECKPOINT and TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE (sopra abbiamo scritto che non c’è assistenza tecnica) – open from 09:30 to 13:00;
• RADI – km 48.6 – FOOD STOP and TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE – open from 06:45 to 11:00;
• MURLO – km 56.4 – CHECKPOINT – open from 07:10 to 11:30;
• IL MOLINO (BUONCONVENTO) – the 209 km ROUTE IS REDIRECTED – access to the long route closes at 12:00;
• MONTALCINO – km 87.6 – FOOD STOP, CHECKPOINT and TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE – open from 08:15 to 13:45;
• LUCIGNANO D’ASSO – km 112.1 – CHECKPOINT – open from 09:15 to 15:30;
• BUONCONVENTO – km 68 and km 125.5 – FOOD STOP, CHECKPOINT and TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE – open from 07:30 to 16:00;
• ASCIANO – km 89 and km 146.2 – FOODSTOP, CHECKPOINT and TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE – open from 08:30 to 17:30;
• CASTELNUOVO BERARDENGA – km 108.2 and km 165.1 – FOODSTOP, CHECKPOINT and TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE – open from 09:15 to 19:00;
• CASTELNUOVO BERARDENGA – the 209 km ROUTE IS REDIRECTED – access to the long route closes at 18:00;
• RADDA IN CHIANTI – km 42.1 – FOODSTOP, CHECKPOINT and TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE – open from 09:30 to 14:00;
• RADDA IN CHIANTI – km 200 – CHECKPOINT – open from 13:00 to 20:45;
• LAMOLE (VOLPAIA) – km 58.9 – FOODSTOP, CHECKPOINT and TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE – open from 10:30 to 15:45;
• MADONNA A BROLIO – km 120 – CHECKPOINT – open from 09:45 to 20:00;
• GAIOLE IN CHIANTI – CHECKPOINT – open from 10:15 to 21:30.
Details regarding food stops will be published on the www.eroicagaiole.it website. Additional random check may be carried out.
ART. 13 – CHECKPOINT STAMPS
Checkpoint stamps are the only proof of the route undertaken. The Road Book will be stamped at the start, along the route and at the finish line. There is just one Road Book for all routes.
ART. 14 – PRIZES
Participants who complete L’Eroica will receive a prize at the finish.
In order to collect the prize, the participant must come in person to the area around the finish line with his/her bicycle and stamped road book.
ART. 15 – COMPLAINTS
Any complaints must be sent to the Organisation by email - firstname.lastname@example.org - within 10 days of the publication of the list of finishers.
ART. 16 – INFORMATION
The event is organised by Eroica Italia SSD, Via Giacomo Matteotti, 13 - 53024 Montalcino (Siena), under the aegis of ACSI (Association of Italian Sport’s Centres), a sport’s promotion body recognised by CONI (the Italian National Olympic Committee).
For information in Italian: Franco Rossi +39 335.7410551 / Franco Gatterelli +39 334.9380512
For information in English: Francesca Bianchi +39 335.1251812
ART. 17 - CANCELLATION OR POSTPONEMENT OF THE EVENT
Cancellation - If, for reasons of force majeure, the event does not take place, the amount paid will not be reimbursed but the registration fee will be considered valid for the following edition. The Organisation will charge an administration fee of €15.00 to postpone registration to the following year. The request to move the registration to the following year must reach the organisers, together with payment of the administration fee, by the date indicated upon cancellation of the event.
Postponement - Furthermore, should the organisation of the event or participation of over half of those registered be put at risk due to force majeure or other serious causes, the Organisation reserves the right to move the place and/or date of the event within the same calendar year. In this case, the registration fee will be considered valid for the event on the new date, with no additional costs. It will, however, not be possible to move your registration to the following year.
ART. 18 – VARIATIONS
In the face of new environmental and/or health and/or legal circumstances, the Organisation reserves the right to make consequent, reasonable changes to the regulations at any time. The official website of the event, where these rules & regulations are published, is the only source of information regarding the event. Therefore, it will not be possible to invoke different contents pertaining to previous communications via newsletter, in the press or on social media.
ART. 19 – DISQUALIFICATION
Disqualification lasting 2 years will apply in the following cases:
• Unauthorised deviations from the route;
• Abusive or offensive behaviour towards members of the Organisation;
• Lack of respect for the environment, such as littering in non-designated areas, outside food stops and checkpoints.
In serious cases, such as participating with another rider’s RACE NUMBER and unauthorised transfer of one’s registration, disqualification may be for life, subject to the incontestable judgement of the Organisation.
We appeal to the civic duty of all participants to keep the routes and locality clean and litter-free.
ART. 20 – APPROVAL, CONSENT, AUTHORISATION, ETC.
When requesting to participate in L’Eroica Gaiole in Chianti by any of the methods provided for by the current regulations, each participant, from the moment of registration:
• declares that he/she has read and accepted the current Regulations in every part;
• guarantees his/her own behaviour during and after the event;
• declares that he/she is in good physical health and that he/she has provided the Organisation with a valid medical certificate, having undergone a medical examination for the practice of competitive or leisure cycling, thus giving the Organisation the utmost leverage in the event of any damages resulting from his/her participation in the event;
• expresses consent to the use of his/her personal information, including for commercial use, as provided for under Italian privacy law no. 196 dated 30/06/2003, and European Union Regulation 2017/679 (GDPR/18);
• gives the Organisation the most ample consent to use, according to the law, including for profit, any video or photographic images taken during the days of the event, giving the Organisation the right to transfer such images to third parties.
Said authorisation, regarding the use of one’s own image, is to be considered permanent and without any territorial limits anywhere in the world. Images may be used in various publications and filmed material, including but not limited to promotional and/or advertising material produced on any medium. The Organisation may, furthermore, transfer to third parties and to its own institutional and commercial partners, the usage rights covered by this agreement.
The Organisation declines any responsibility, either direct or on the part of its collaborators, for any accident or damage to people or property, that may arise before, during and after the event or as a result of the same.
ART. 21 – PROCESSING AND REGISTRATION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
The processing and registration of personal information will be carried out by the following two companies:
EROICA ITALIA SSD a R.L.
Via G. Matteotti 13
53024 Montalcino, Siena, Italia
Via Casabianca 25
53013 Gaiole in Chianti, Siena, Italy
The personal information of all participants will be processed and registered according to the terms of Italian privacy law no. 196 dated 30/06/2003 and European Union Regulation 2017/679 (GDPR/18).